British Gas engineers have founds over 25,000 dangerous and Unsafe electrical devices during their home visits between January and July this year.

Unsafe electrical devices were detected in at least one of twenty of the homes that British Gas visited - with the most popular faults found in old ovens and boilers. These problems were detected during electricity and gas safety checks conducted by engineers when finalising meter installations. This has occurred after a survey was conducted of 3,050 adults, accredited by British Gas in order to mark Gas Safety Week 16-22 September) found that if a customer found a device ‘spark’, they would still choose to use it.

Engineer and safety expert for British Gas, Lauren Vazquez said: "Our engineers are in and out of homes around the country every day, checking that customers' electricity is safely wired and testing all gas appliances to make sure they're safe. We regularly visit customers who haven't had their electrical wiring or gas appliances checked in 10 to 20 years, which is a concern. We have so many gadgets in the house nowadays that it can be difficult to keep on top of them all, but it's important to keep an eye on whether they're working as they should be. Some of the unsafe appliances we've come across could have had a devastating effect on our customers' health and safety, had we not identified them."

Unsafe electrical devices - Brocken boiler

It was also noted that around two thirds of homeowners in the UK actively worry about how safe the devices are in their home, while almost half have had a shock from at least one device.

However, more than half admitted that even though they are advised to check their home devices regularly - they do not do this and around two thirds of people who took the survey, admitted that they still use a gadget even if it is faulty. The survey showed that on average, every one has at least three known broken electrical items in their home, which could be anything from a laptop or a boiler to a toaster or a lamp.

Using a smart meter allows you to identify any possibly changes in energy use - this could be caused by devices being turned on and off, so this could reveal any faults with devices, however, 54 percent of participants stated that they were not aware that by monitoring their energy would have a positive impact on their gadgets and devices.

It was also stated by British Gas, as a way of marking Gas Safety Week,  about the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector in your home

Lauren Vazquez added that: “You can't hear it, see it, taste it or smell it, and it kills around 30 people a year - but fortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. Tell-tale signs of a carbon monoxide leak include sooty stains on your cooker, finding your gas fire has become difficult to light, and spotting that the flame on your boiler is burning yellow or orange instead of blue. Faulty central heating systems are one of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home. So as well getting your boiler checked once a year, it's essential to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted, and to call an expertly-trained engineer if you have any concerns."

Categories

Add new comment