Due to the Coronavirus, we are now working from home, if you need to contact us urgently please email: email@example.com
Roofers and builders are considered the least trustworthy tradespeople, while electricians are the most likely to inspire confidence, according to new research from Which? Trusted Traders.
The survey has revealed that four in 10 (38%) householders do not trust builders and roofers when employing them for the first time, making these trades the least trusted for domestic building work and repairs.
In stark contrast, eight in 10 (80%) of those surveyed said they trusted the electrician they called in to make repairs and improvements in their home. Central heating engineers were also widely trusted, with three quarters (75%) feeling confident that they would do a good job.
The survey also asked people about their biggest worries when hiring a tradesperson, revealing that the largest concern was that they would not turn up at the agreed time, which was cited by six in 10 (62%).
Poor workmanship and being taken for a ride were other top concerns, with over half (55%) worrying that a trader would do a bad job and a similar number (46%) anxious that they would be ripped off.
Raj Kakar-Clayton, Managing Director of Which? Trusted Traders, said:
“It can take a lot of trust to welcome a trader into your home, particularly if they’ve never worked for you before. Take the stress out of home improvement by reading online reviews, asking for references and making sure you have a contract in place before the job starts.”
Advice from Which? Trusted Traders
- Be clear about the work that you want completing and ask for quote, rather than an estimate.
- Always ask for references when employing a new trader.
- Get a contract in place to protect you in the event of a problem.
- Membership of a trade association isn’t a guarantee of a good quality trader but it’s generally a sign that a trader wishes to work professionally.
- Find a Which? Trusted Traders endorsed trader in your area by using the straightforward search function on our website.
For more advice on hiring Trusted Traders, please click here
A full list of net trust in tradespeople
- Electricians - 80%
- Central heating engineers - 75%
- Plumbers - 73%
- Carpenters - 72%
- Decorators - 70%
- Plasterers - 68%
- Glaziers - 65%
- Mechanics - 64%
- Tilers - 61%
- Kitchen fitters - 58%
- Builders - 53%
- Drain and sewer services - 50%
- Roofers - 48%