Prysmian FP200 Gold cable has been specified for the Central Library in Manchester, one of the most instantly-recognisable landmarks of the city. The Grade II* listed library was built in the 1930s, and refurbished between 2010 and 2014. The Central Library is the second-largest public lending library in the UK.
For such an important public building, fire safety was a prime concern; this was the main factor that prompted NG Bailey, a leading independent engineering, IT and facilities services business to specify Prysmian cable for installation in the building.
FP200 Gold was specified and installed to supply the emergency lighting system throughout the building by Lindsay Moody, NG Bailey’s technical manager on the project, who says;
“Knowing the potential for the contents of the building to both spread fire and give off poisonous fumes, it is important to choose a cable with long lasting integrity - especially in public buildings such as libraries. The longer you have to evacuate a building safely in the unfortunate event of a fire, the better.
“NG Bailey chose Prysmian cables for use on this project because we have confidence in the manufacturer. At NG Bailey there’s a big emphasis on using good quality cables and when I’m specifying cables for life safety I always try to specify Prysmian as the quality is second to none.”
16,000 metres of FP200 Gold cable were used in this project, so the occupants of the building will be best protected in the event of a fire as the cable meets or exceeds the requirements of BS 5266-1, the code of practice for emergency escape lighting in premises. The cable also features low smoke, zero halogen and flame retardant performance which reduces the risk to occupants during fire.
Prysmian’s FP range is the original, easy to install and fully compliant fire-resistant cable range, approved by engineers, installers and regulators. In the unfortunate event of fire, Prysmian’s ‘standard’ fire resistant cable FP200 Gold retains vital circuit integrity which reduces the risks involved in evacuation.